Intro: Alcatraz is an island in San Francisco bay. An abandoned prison sits on it, which now serves as an international tourist attraction.
Country: United States (California)
Address: San Francisco, CA 94133, United States
Size: Large Base
Closest Urban Area: San Francisco
Why hideout in your base?
As a retired prison and army base, on a rocky island in the San Francisco bay, Alcatraz is a pretty awesome zombie hideout. Some of it’s key benefits include:
- High rocky cliff walls – no undead surfacing up and onto the island easy.
- The waters around the island have strong currents making it hard to swim (for the undead) or walk from the mainland.
- As an old prison, the buildings on the island are strongly fortified.
- It has lots of supplies, running water, and power on the island.
- Prison cells could be used as a final defence barrier if needed – don’t get trapped in them forever though!
- As the prison is no longer in use, you don’t need to worry about dangerous or infected prisoners!
What is it’s capacity?
As a prison, Alcatraz had a capacity for 312 prisoners. While you might not want to squeeze that many people in, it should be able to hold a decent number of survivors.
Are there are any disadvantages?
Well, yes – there are a couple of disadvantages:
- Its a world class tourist attraction, and so is not an hidden base you can slink away too.
- There may infected tourists on the island.
- Its close to a global city with San Francisco – lots and lots of potential zombies!!
Could you make any improvements to it?
The main improvements that could be made include:
- Reinforcing any cliff walls, so no zombies can creep onto the island.
- Create escape plans (e.g. getaway vehicles) incase the island is overrun by zombies or pirates.
- Install renewable energy equipment for when the power goes out. Solar panels or wind turbines on the roof and tidal generators under the water would do the job!